My Blog List

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Introduction

Hello and welcome to my blog,

So first the basics.  My names Tom Barlow, I'm from the small town of South Lyon, about 20 minutes north of Ypsilanti. It's where I've lived for most of my entire life, and naturally I work in the town as well.

My interest in aviation started as a little kid. As any guy, I was interested in anything mechanical growing up, mostly trains to start out with but I gradually got attached to aviation as I got older. The New Hudson airport is located right next to my house basically, and the runway is lined up so that planes take off or land over my house, so its nearly guaranteed I'll see at least one plane a day. I also have an interest in American history, so its only natural for me to run into aviation. Add Thunder over Michigan in and well aviation is the most interesting thing I could think of.

 Right now in aviation I'm looking at starting Instrument training here, as soon as I can, so I'm going to just focus on that right now. If I had any sort of plans, it would be to work towards business jets at some point, but that's a little far in the future right now.

So far as current topics go, I've taken an interest in cars. My current job deals with them on a daily basis, and it has always been an interest as well, although never to the extent of aviation. It does go hand in hand however, knowing that a 1992 Chevy K1500 has a 5.7L 350 cubic inch is almost the same as saying a B-17G has 4 Wright Cyclones R-1820 radials rated at 1,300hp,almost. Because of this interest, I've gotten into repairing my own vehicle and a couple of friends, so anytime I can learn a new repair I've jumped at it in order to know what I'm doing when the time comes to fix the same problem on my own car.

Looking forward to another year of aviation oriented college at EMU

No comments:

Post a Comment